Friday, May 7, 2010

Friday night

Today was Amelia and Cady's dress rehearsal for ballet, so when I got home from work, I picked up the boy-child and gave him his dinner options: Subway, The Chuck Wagon, or Lunchables from the grocery store. He had a real difficult time choosing between The Chuck Wagon and a Lunchable (because, as he said, "Subway is right out").He finally decided on The Chuck Wagon. We got to sit in the "Gold Dust" room, so named for the "gold" bricks on the outside wall. Nathan was very disappointed to realize that they weren't real gold, but wood painted gold. He chose his favorite combination: Grilled Ham and Cheese with chips and an orange soda. After we ordered, he asked me if I had brought any cards for him to play with (the last time that Chris and I took him, Chris brought a deck of cards and did card tricks). Unfortunately, I had come straight from work to pick him up, so had not brought anything to keep him occupied. The conversation went something like this:
Nathan: Did you bring any cards to keep me entertained?
Amy: No, sorry bud, I didn't.
Nathan: Well, that's okay.
Amy: What do you think that we should do?
Nathan: Well, we could talk!
Amy: What should we talk about?
Nathan: I know! How was your day?
Amy: It was quite nice, thank you! I was very glad to be done with work, though.
Nathan: Why?
Amy: Because it is Friday, and I have the whole weekend away from work. And because I was looking forward to our dinner date together!
Nathan: I was looking forward to it too! I like eating out, even if they don't cook as well as you and Dad. 
Amy: How was your day?
Nathan: I got to have not one, but TWO chocolate pudding cups at Grammies.

The conversation went on like this for a while. He began to regret the two chocolate pudding cups (low-fat, he informed me, and made with real milk, so it is healthy!) when he could barely finish his sandwich. I knew that he was VERY full when he decided that he was too full for dessert. I felt his forehead to make sure he was okay. The kid who begs for dessert every night is too full for dessert? What? Okay...
It was a great night!

1 comment:

  1. his mom is pretty dry, so good for you being his new mom. The kid needs it,needs a mom, so thank you and good luck Nate.

    ReplyDelete